What handheld GPS do you use when riding in heavily wooded areas?

I trail ride in heavily wooded areas. I would like to start doing some riding off the beaten path. I am interested to know what handheld GPS units some of you use. Which GPS gets the best reception under heavy tree cover? What about value for the money?


Go with the Garmin HCx. You'll be wondering where you DON'T get a signal. Garmin are the best navigational systems in my opinion, and this handheld one is great for going over the mountain and through the woods, to grandmother's house you'll go!

:P

You can check out other customer's reviews too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PDR1LS/105-3377263-4420417?ie=UTF8&tag=marartpla-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000PDR1LS

I just recently found a GPS site that seems pretty good. They mention some information on GPS units there that I think would help. They have Garmin & Magellen units. Link is www. gpscosmos.com. Might try them. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/accuse_write?qid=20080630163911AAFBhlm&kid=HLVoGkPOCE_UIavKRXC1&s=comm&date=2008-07-22+02%3A13%3A27&.crumb=

Most important is to secure a GPS system that includes a high sensitivity GPS receiver such as SiRF III, most handheld are acceptable if they include the high sensitivity receiver. You should be o.k as long as you can see the sky part of the time the receiver should work fine. Most of these will work indoors so it should be o.k for you to use outdoor in heavily wooded areas.

One ALL around GPS unit that includes the outdoor mode is the Magellan CrossOverGPS, name the best GPS PND by Outdoor gears of the year in 2007.

You can find out more about this unit on this link http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gear.tcl?gear=Magellan-CrossoverGPS&gear_id=5141&action=showgear

This is an all around unit, you can use it as a vehicle navigation system to get you where you need to go hiking, than use it as an offroad navigation device when you are riding in heavily wooded areas.

You can buy these Magellan CrossoverGPS refurbished at Auto Nav 2000 Plus, Inc. www.autonav2000.com for only $199 which is the best deal in town.

The most accurate to date for me is the Garmin GPSMap60CSx, and you can do a Search of this model on the Internet. I have had several GPS units, and they were less sensitive than the Map60CSx.

You can even do an Internet Search of SiRF star III chipset, for GPS units that are highly sensitive, and have an accurate Trip Odometer. Some GPS units will have a problem with a very inaccurate Trip Odometer.

The Garmin Forunner Series ending in x05 are very sensitive and are worn on the wrist. These units are easy to use while on the horse.

I don't use them either...

I'm in VERY heavily wooded areas, mountains, and I've ridden in the deserts too.

My mare knows the way home if my sense of direction gets messed up.

I haven't had much trouble getting lost. Maybe because I'm a hunter too. We know and learn to 'remember' terrain and direction. Or how to find your direction from the land.

When I'm ready to turn and go home...I just relax the reins completely and let her take me home. It really doesn't matter if I've left the trails or not...and I leave them often...she has an awesome sense of direction.

I've shown this before...but this is the kind of terrain I ride in...

The horse always knows the way home...

Sorry...can't get pictures to upload on yahoo right now...will try later.

I use my mare....no matter if I start from home or trailer somewhere, she always knows where home or the trailer is and will pull in that direction when she starts getting tired. If she is tired enough, she will crash through the woods to make as straight a line as possible. She has never been wrong in 8 years of riding her.

I go riding in insane areas all the time, that i've never been in before. seriously all you have to do is let your horse take you home, stop telling it where to go and you'll be home within an hour. i do that all the time, when i'm lost, which is often

i just use my cell haha it's the verizion Juke

i just bought the GPS navigational system and it works great! and it's sooo teeny tiny if fits anywhere

0 comments: