Thinking about buying a GPS navigation system. Can I write it off on my taxes?

I work as a college admission counselor, and travel to community colleges twice a week. I would like to get a GPS navigation system, as I've discovered that I lack an inner compass and frequently get lost (my atlas has been helpful, but it is dangerous to consult it while driving). I would think that 90% or more of my usuage of this product would be business related, but I don't know if I would be able to write this off since I'm not self-employed. Any thoughts?


if you're not self employed - doubtful you can expense it - just chalk it up to it helping you be more efficient in your job

Thanks. Bummer, but thanks. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/accuse_write?qid=20070816180718AAJdkfT&kid=Q8B4WjfvAzeOke5_vPiDfy9OHwMSqgftmJ4XJjOweVw9kWR1hD8e&s=comm&date=2007-08-25+08%3A13%3A14&.crumb=

Out of pocket expenses for your job must be for your employer's convenience, not your convenience.

This sounds like it is for your convenience. Sorry, in my opinion, no deduction.

Any un-reimbursed employee expenses are deductible! But the question is; is it an employee expense? Can you prove that when it seems to be for your own convenience? I doubt that!

0 comments: