Have you tried bringing a Car GPS aboard a plane while it is on during the whole trip?

What did you see from the GPS Screen? I know it is prohibited but I think someone may have actually have done it.


I used to pull out an old handheld Magellan 315 when I traveled -- this was before we had the true navigation systems that we have today; it just basically told you where you were and didn't have any streets on it. It was a hoot -- you could tell have fast the airplane was going, what the altitude was, etc. It worked pretty well on a window seat -- nothing to obstruct the signal up there!

I haven't tried it in years, and from what I've read the airlines have banned them for whatever reason.

I would imagine that it is, in fact, quite accurate in the skies. You're 30-40,000 feet closer to the sattelite. However, this is illegal.

hmmm... hadn't thought of that! I will be travelling to Scotland in March and am bringing my TomTom One.... I just may have to try that!

(Like most electronics... I don't think it's a problem for the airlines as long as it isn't on during the takeoff/landing.)

0 comments: