What kind of GPS system is the most accurate and easy to use?

I am planning a road trip and I am horrible w/ directions. I am considering buying a GPS system for my car since we are driving from Wisconsin to New York City. Any suggestions?


If you only need it short term, you have a number of options. Do you have a friend you could borrow one from? Consider renting a car and getting the satellite thing with it.

But, consider this: you may already have almost everything you need. Many cell phones are satellite friendly. Most directions sites (I use mapquest.com) have an application you can download to your phone, and then 'send' your phone the directions from mapquest. Voila! It now has the capability to adjust for you on the fly. Goto your directional website of choice and see what hardware they support. (If they don't support your model of phone, try another site)

A seasoned traveler with a decent directional ability, I get my directions from the site, and used to print them. Now, I just save the web page to my laptop (usually the printer friendly version) and have it open on the seat next to me.

Drive safe!

The most accurate one I've used is good to less than 2 cm (under an inch) - but the price is $13 000 CDN. It's a Starfire, made by Navcom. The easiest to use would probably be anything (Garmin) around $150 CDN from "The Source by Circuit City" (previously known as Radio Shack). http://answers.yahoo.com/question/accuse_write?qid=20070315101156AAw3noV&kid=FoxbUm_gJ20vp_qsRyR4&s=comm&date=2009-01-08+09%3A18%3A35&.crumb=

umm.. get that tom tom that works great

I have the Magellan 760 Roadmate and it's great! I haven't had any problems and it's simple to operate. Takes you right to the door of an address every time! Highly recommend it!

Not all GPS are the same as previously claimed! They are comparable to cell phones that drop calls. Some are much worst than others and it isn't always an easy fix. I have NEVER experienced it with my Magellan 760 or the 500 I previously had! They also are easy to update and you can also add your own information!

I would purchase it on line as they are much cheaper there than retail stores such as Best Buy or whatever.

Rand/mcnally road atlas, works well, costs less.

all gps systems are about the same . I would suggest working on the price range.

I live in nyc and own a TomTom -- i find it to be fairly accurate. All GPS systems get their information from government owned satellites, so accuracy is a moot point. The features built into the GPS system, such as route redirection, traffic update, Points of Interest, etc is what you're actually weighing.

Good Luck.

I own a Magellan 700. Great unit, easy to use. Upgradeable when roads change or are added. Also can be upgraded for marine use.

0 comments: